On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM, James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe he's referring to the appearance of a glowing object approaching
> from _behind_ the main mass that correlates in time and direction to the
> ejection of fragments with its disappearance into the main mass.  Yes, we're
> talking delta-velocities that are outside of plausible explanation by
> ballistic missiles or any other known propulsion technology.  Ignoring the
> out-going fragments, the most plausible explanation I can come up with for
> this approach-from-behind object is modification of the source footage.  An
> optical artifact doesn't cut it due to the time correlation with the
> expulsion of fragments unless someone can come up with a optical artifact
> that would also explain those fragments.

According to this wikipedia entry the russian's posses a missle that
could have conceivably intercepted the meteor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2UTTKh_Topol-M
The first stage has three rocket motors developed by the Soyuz Federal
Center for Dual-Use Technologies. This gives the missile a much higher
acceleration than other ICBM types. It enables the missile to
accelerate to the speed of 7,320 m/s and to travel a flatter
trajectory to distances of up to 10,000 km

harry