Estimating the probability has to do with the investment decision tree.
 Such exploration requires resources and the resources allocated to the
search have to take into account the expected value in terms of risk
adjusted utility of obtaining a targeted statistical
sample<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value_of_sample_information>.
 The failure to approach research funding decisions in this manner is, for
an immediately recognizable example, a major contributor to the pathology
manifest in cold fusion research funding -- or rather lack thereof.

The cut-off points in proposed research avenues are constrained by that
expected value.  Conversely, the depth of the search -- exploring ever less
"plausible" theories -- is driven by that expected value.

There are some pretty wild theories out there about this "cluster" and
depending on these tradeoffs, exploring them is either rational or
irrational.