=====================================
I have been considering the behavior of hydrogen that is captured by a
nickel matrix to obtain a better understanding of the system. It seems
highly likely that an individual proton would not be freely floating around
within an NAE type region. The electric field of this particle would ensure
that any nearby electrons would be stolen and you would end up with an
hydrogen atom. Do we have evidence that this is the case or is there
evidence supporting the idea of a free proton lingering around in a large
cavernous NAE?

The hydrogen would be incorporated into the walls of nickel nanowires as a
hydride on the surface of a micro-particle. The electron(s) of the hydrogen
would then form a dipole and enter into the space between the nanowires an
form a hybrid plasmonic/excitonic system .