I agree that renewable subsidies should be decreased as their cost is getting
down. Roof-top solar can already almost do well without subsidies, because
household battery storage and EV technology is evolving rapidly and retail
price of consumer electricity is high.

Wind needs some support, because offshore wind is still expensive. External
costs for offshore wind are so low that it must be pursued at large scale
although it might not be competitive with coal power. Also wind at free
electricity markets is problematic, because electricity spot price is at lowest
when there is high winds and highest when there is no wind. This equation makes
offshore wind impossible investment without properly sized FIT.

Problem with carbon tax is that it will cause problems for industry. Especially
coal intensive steel industry is suffering from carbon tax. It is better to
make tax payers pay, because industry needs cheap electricity most. Therefore
positive clean energy subsidies are always better than negative carbon tax
incentives. And I would include also natural gas as clean energy.

Energy subsidies are effectively money transfers from service sector to energy
intensive industry. This should be good thing because in modern economy service
and finance sectors tend to be too big in relation to manufacturing sector.
Only manufacturing is producing real economic growth where as service and
finance sectors are only redistributing existing money, therefore energy
subsidies are the best way to make economy more healthy and growth oriented.

I think that this is the real reason behind why western world is in economic
troubles. There is just too much money at service and finance sectors compared
to manufacturing sector that is producing real wealth.

—Jouni