You propose an interesting concept Robin.  Take a look at my post concerning 
the behavior of a pair of magnets of the same type and power.  I draw some 
interesting conclusions about the energy storage and extraction in that 
exercise.


I think the main interaction of the steel piece is to direct some of the 
magnetic flux into a lower reluctance path which apparently is a less energetic 
state for the system.  Since less energy is the final result, a force will 
appear that works with the movement to release the excess energy.  A capacitor 
behaves in a similar manner.  There is a force existing between the two charged 
plates that if allowed to cause movement will result in less energy being 
stored in the electric field.  The movement represents a conversion of electric 
field energy into mechanical energy.  Of course this is only true when the 
leads of the capacitor are open circuited and no external energy is input.


It is an interesting process to pile steel pellets onto a magnet until there is 
no external field.  The final state of the conglomerate is of low energy.  All 
the lines of force are effectively shorted out through the steel pellets and 
the field energy is minimized.  I like to mentally allow each pellet to locate 
its final resting place (rip) slowly as I extract the mechanical energy during 
the process.  If not, the pellets would speed up and collide with the magnet 
releasing most of the energy in the form of heat.


You appear to be describing normal transformer operation.  The internal domains 
of the steel align with the drive such that you get far more field than would 
occur within air.  That is a reasonably efficient operation as long as eddy 
currents are not too strong and the process does not result in much loss to 
heating.  At a slow rate such as I am referring to, the loss would be extremely 
small.


Dave



-----Original Message-----
From: mixent <[email protected]>
To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Apr 16, 2013 12:48 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Yildiz motor in Geneva -- ran 5.5 hours then broke  down


In reply to  David Roberson's message of Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:49:20 -0400 (EDT):
Hi,
[snip]
>I am having a difficult time judging the amount of energy stored in these 
magnets.  I recall almost having a finger removed when holding a piece of steel 
near a powerful rare earth magnet.  The force attracting the metal was very 
large and worked against my muscle power.  I do not know how many joules of 
energy were released by the magnet as it drew the steel near to itself, but it 
was significant.  I assume this process could be repeated many times with 
additional pieces of steel until the field was hidden within the metal mass.

I think that as the normally randomly oriented magnetic domains in the steel
(not the magnet) enter the field of the magnet, they domains in the steel become
oriented, and as a consequence release energy. IOW the energy isn't coming from
the magnet, but from the steel. If the steel is removed from the magnet, then
apart from the energy required to remove it, I would also expect the temperature
of the steel to drop a little as thermal energy is used to randomize the
magnetic domains in the steel again.
(BTW this may be the mechanism involved in the motor, since magnets are moving
around rapidly, and the magnetic field strength is constantly varying, it's
possible that a magnetic heat pump is at work, that is extracting heat from the
air flowing through the device.)
Note that this would be another example of a system that violates Carnot because
it converts energy from kinetic to potential, and then into kinetic again, but
in the form of macroscopic motion rather than atomic motion (i.e. heat).
>
>
>If you take that amount of energy and multiply it by the number of magnets in 
the device, you obtain a fairly large amount of energy.  I would certainly 
expect this amount of available energy to be capable of overcoming the losses 
due to friction in bearings for a very long time.  The energy extracted by a 
fan 
would need to be handled as well.  I am not suggesting that the Yildiz motor is 
a fraud, but I suspect that there may be another explanation for its 
performance 
that is more "down to earth". :-)

Then I suggest you look at the patent app., and figure out exactly how much
magnet volume is available. Multiplying by the MGO of the magnetic material will
give you a total energy figure.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html


 

Reply via email to