I think that money in North Korea is slightly different thing compared on what
we have used to. This does not however make this topic any less depressing.

Interesting thing that I learned today was that Costa Rica abolished their
military altogether in 1948 and they have had plenty of resources to be spent
on education and wellbeing. Costa Rica is now the happiest nation in the world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_without_armed_forces

―Jouni