Axil, you may have hit the nail on the head. You said "Pauli Exclusion
Principle".  I wasn't really thinking about that but now that you've
brought it up, the s state of a hydrogen atom can carry a maximum of two
electrons.  Ni has one lone un-paired electron.   That might be one reason
this phenomena only happens in hydrated nickel. I should add I think the
NiH is very different from PdD.