That is one possible interpretation. Another possible interpretation is
that a proton under bombardment assumes properties which are consistent
with the standard model of a proton, but in a cool environment the proton
is more like a positron and a neutron.

In recent years I began to feel that high energy physics experiments might
be places where the properties of sub-atomic particles are *forged rather
than discovered. With the positron-in-neutron I can now point to a specific
experiment to illustrate this feeling.

*forge
/fôrj/
Verb
1.Make or shape (a metal object) by heating it in a fire or furnace and
beating or hammering it.
2.Move forward gradually or steadily.

Noun
A blacksmith's workshop; a smithy.