On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Kevin O'Malley <kevmol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Max_Planck
>
> Max Planck:
>
> A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
> making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die,
> and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
>

> The irony is that not only is this not true, and that cold fusion is
seeing it work the other way, but Planck himself is a counter-example.

Some pathological beliefs, like N-rays and the planet vulcan, only really
disappeared when the believers died. In cold fusion, the strongest and most
active proponents are still the ones that were there from the beginning
(There are some exceptions like Duncan and Zawodny). Cold fusion is likely
to continue to fade away by attrition, although it clearly has a surprising
staying power.

Planck was slow to accept the idea of photons, but he did not have to die
to increase their acceptance: about 10 years after Einstein introduced
them, Planck came around. And of course, all the architects of modern
physics, including Planck, were alive and well before they could conceive
of relative time or discrete energy. So, the statement really doesn't fit
reality, and I suspect he said it in jest.