Walker wrote:

> Yes, definitely -- conflation is a critical mistake, but it is most
likely to occur when it is convenient for one's position.  Throw perpetual
motion machines, homeopathy, polywater and cold fusion all into the same
category. It does not matter that there appear to be basic differences that
make the comparison strained, at best.

There are differences of course. Identical analogies serve no purpose.

I assume we all agree that homeopathy and polywater and perpetual motion
are bogus. And so when someone makes an argument that applies equally to
all of them, then the comparison shows why it is not persuasive to someone
who also thinks cold fusion is bogus.

That's the purpose of analogies.

If you want to convince skeptics that cold fusion is real, arguments that
apply to perpetual motion won't work.