From: DJ Cravens

                Ni-62
                If we assume that speculation about Rossi is correct, what
materials other than Ni-62 could be used?
                If it is p + X reaction, what other isotopes other than Ni62
could be used?
                Or perhaps it is really a p+p reaction with Ni-62 donating
something???
                Anyone have any suggestions?

                This is an important point - is there a substitute for
Ni-62?
                The best way to approach the subject is to look at the
isotope and ask - is there anything which is unique about this species?
Then, if the answer is "yes" we must ask - how does the unique property
materialize in the gainful reaction?
                As to the first part - yes - Ni-62 is a singularity in the
periodic table, being the one isotope with the highest binding energy per
nucleon of all known nuclides (~8.8 MeV per) ... and yet here it is being
identified as active for the anomalous energy Rossi claims to have found
with hydrogen.
                On the one hand, if there is true gain in this device
primarily due to properties of this isotope - being a singularity could be
an important clue. OTOH it is most surprising that the physical property for
which it derives its uniqueness - is the opposite of what one logically
expects in the situation. That property, which is "highest binding energy"
means the isotope is the most stable. What is the next most stable? That
would be an iron isotope, but iron could have chemical properties which
interfere with the nuclear reaction
                As for Part-2 of the inquiry... which is "why" ... this has
been addressed piecemeal in prior postings, and I will collect these, with
revisions, in another posting.
                Jones