What if Neutrinos don't really exist?

I've always felt uncomforatble about the "discovery" of the Neutrino (or rather
the 3 neutrino siblings - as they currently are).  The particles seem to fulfil
most (if not all) of the criteria for being products of "pathological science".

On one hand they are barely detectable, and yet on the other hand their effects
are claimed to be measurable with great accuracy.  The earth is meant to be
swamped by a sea of interstellar neutrinos, and yet a detector in an
underground chamber can supposedly pick up neutrino signals from an accelerator
450 miles away - all with split second timing.  It all sounds a little bit like
N Rays.....

So - what if they have never really existed? What if the original postulation -
Pauli's "invented particle" to make an equation balance - was a mistake?  Maybe
with all the various particles discovered (and strongly observed) since the
middle of last century, it could be possible to make the equations balance in
some other way.

After all, we do need a way to "uninvent" particles - especially those at the
limit of detection - when subsequent discoveries show that past measurements
were in error (i.e. originally encouraged by the effect of "seeing what we
expect to see").

However, has any particle ever been dispensed with?

Thoughts?