Actually, Rutherford's gold foil experiment used alpha particles, generated by Radon radioactive decay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Marsden_experiment

According to http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/alpha.html and http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Alpha_decay alpha particles typically have an energy around 5 MeV which works out to be a velocity of 5% that of light.

- Joe