Alan,
        The Rossi "tubules" are on the 1u scale but are "bumpy" with
protrusions that must form much smaller geometry between the grains as the bulk
powder is contained..My posit for Rossi is that his NAE geometry is between
these grains and  protrusions. It is a reverse of a skeletal catalyst where Al
is leached of the Ni-Al alloy leaving pits in the bulk.

Fran

On Jun 6, 2013, at 2:11 PM, Alan Fletcher wrote:

> I've been too busy with analysing the latest Rossi test to follow
> this.
>
> I've got the following "official" links to Storms' NAE
>
> 2012 Paper : http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/StormsEanapproach.pdf
> Feb 2013 Kick-off post :
> http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg77023.html
>
> I have a strong forgettery feeling that I'm missing one.

Yes Alan, you are missing several papers, but this is a good start.

> What's the present state of the temperature-dependent aspects:
>
> 1. At what temperature does it start ? (Lower limit: when the metal
> hydride source activates, typically 200C)

According to my theory, the rate is totally controlled by how fast the
hydrogen can get to the NAE. This rate is determined by temperature
and concentration of hydrogen in the surrounding metal. If the heat
detector is sufficiently sensitive, the effect could be detected at
room temperature.

> 2. Is there a temperature at which it stops? (Upper limit, Ni
> melting point)

The upper limit is unknown, but the NAE is certainly destroyed at the
melting point.
\
> 3. Is it linear in-between?

  Rate=A*C*exp (B/T), where A is proportional to the concentration of
NAE , C is the concentration of hydrogen isotope in the metal, and B
is related to the matertial in which the NAE forms.  T is the average
temperature of the material in which the NAE forms.

> 4 What's the estimated SIZE for a NAE (eg assuming a crack) --- Sure
> LOOKS like cracks!

The size is unknown but less than a nm.

> http://lenr.qumbu.com/web_hotcat_pics/passi_nato_huber_P1070423.png
> (My new policy -- when I steal///// borrow a picture I annotate
> where I got it)
> Except that the cracks look about 1um wide (If I read '5000x 1u'
> correctly) .. and Rossi's powder is in the 1u range : a 1u crack
> won't fit!!?? Also, I don't see any more detail IN the SKINR cracks.

A crack that is visible on an SEM is too big to be active. However,
where large cracks are present, small cracks are surely present also.

> And the reaction (let's use p+p+e = D + 1.4MEV for discussion
> purposes)
>
> 5. Is one NAE destroyed by the reaction, never to fire again? Or is
> it poisoned and recovers?

I believe the NAE (nano gap), once it forms, is very stable and is the
host of many Hydrotons, with each forming, fusing, and reforming.

>   eg a chain of H-H-H-H will resonate and is "active" at T1, but "H-
> D-H" won't resonate, so the NAE is poisoned.

The -H-e-D-e-  etc makes tritium. The NAE is not poisoned, but simply
creates a different nuclear product. That is why I want Rossi to look
for tritium. He makes D that than fuses with H to make tritium.

>   D diffuses away, two H diffuse in : then it's ready again?
>
> 6. If so, what is the typical time between firing?
> (ns,us,ms,sec,minutes?)

I would guess that once a Hydroton forms and starts to resonate, the
fusion process in that one Hydroton is finished in a few ns. However,
thousands of Hydrotons are going through their life cycle at the same
time.

Ed Storms