Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the high-tech approach to agriculture, but the hazmat suites and
> the water sterilization seem a little anachronistic -- like a 1960s take on
> what the future will be like.

Apparently it reduces spoilage. They do not do anything there by accident
or without careful testing. NHK says government and industry is pouring
money into the technology. They say it has been revolutionized since the
1990s, with a tremendous increase in output and reduction in spoilage.

>  The view here in California looks a little different, with the farmers'
> markets and the locavore movement -- people are wanting food to be less
> high-tech rather than more high tech.

My guess is that people will say they want one thing but they will buy
another. What they want in Europe and Japan is cheap but tasty food without
blemishes. Organic food does not sell well in Japan because, for example,
oranges are blemished with insect bites and they are of different sizes and
shapes.