It could be that charge as a static entity is fundamentally an
illusion. Perhaps it is a useful illusion, but it is still an illusion.
Notice that the coulomb, the unit of charge, is defined in terms of Amperes
X Seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb

Perhaps all charged particles are self-sustaining currents.

Harry