The reason I have a "spa in a box" is because of its size.  You need a fairly
large volume to rule out internal chemical storage.

Here are ROUGH order of magnitude numbers.  My point is you need something
>100 gallons or so for a typical system.   Yes, I have 2 digit metric numbers
but I don't want the point to get lost in the numbers. I am using mixed units
since gallons are more easily understood by the public at large.

The spa in a box holds 300 gallons (or about 1000 l of water). It takes about 1
kW hour to heat it a little slower than 1 degree C. (about 75% eff around room
temp with lid).  A typical car lead acid battery holds about 1 kw hour - a
lithium battery about 2 to 3 times that.

My present system is a glow discharge through a gas/powder fluidized bed.  It
has a volume about the size of a car battery (not counting HV source and
pumps).

That means that to be about an order of magnitude above chemical storage, I
need dump into that 300 gallons for a working day.

A small beverage cooler will just not work to rule out chemical storage.

1000 liters is about right.   filling to 200 gallons is very do-able and would
shorten your times.
notice that 1kW is about right for a typical house hold plug (perhaps 1.5 but

D2

PS... you got to have fun.   I keep imagining a PR demo with two spas - one
with CF heating and one with R heating at the same input power.  Then have
models in the warm one.   :)    I think it would quickly get the point across.
....   OK, In my dreams.

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:41:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Suggestions for a more effective demonstration
From: jedrothw...@gmail.com
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com

DJ Cravens <djcrav...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You would not need to go to 90C.
I agree.

   The concept of heating a volume of water is very valid.

Of course. The questions are: how much water, in what kind of container, to
what temperature, over what duration? I have no doubt that a spa is a heck of a
lot better than a 10,000 gallon tank truck! It is more practical, far cheaper,
easier to insulate, easier for the observers to measure, and it has many other
advantages.

I think a large insulated container such as a plastic beverage cooler would be
fine. I don't see the need for a spa. Of course the cooler reaches the terminal
temperature sooner than a spa, but I don't see a problem with that. Dump the
water and heat a new batch if want to make the test go longer.