I am familiar with characterizing the FOBS type vehicle. FOBS (*Fractional
Orbital Bombardment System) *was a Soviet ICBM program in the 1960s that
after launch would go into a low Earth orbit and would then de-orbit for an
attack. It had no range limit and the orbital flight path would not reveal
the target location. This would allow a path to North America over the South
Pole, hitting targets from the south, which is the opposite direction from
which NORAD early warning systems are oriented. NORAD was very senitive to
the FOBS system and much effort was expended to remove this capability from
the Russian arsenal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

The SALT II agreement (1979) prohibited the deployment of FOBS systems:

*Each Party undertakes not to develop, test, or deploy:*

*(...)*

*(c) systems for placing into Earth orbit **nuclear weapons** or any other
kind of **weapons of mass destruction**, including fractional orbital
missiles;*

The missile was phased out in January 1983 in compliance with this treaty.

Putting any vehicle into a suborbital trajectory is asking for problems
with the SALT II agreement.