Posters:

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/scientific-writing.pdf

*Guidelines for Writing a Scientific Paper*

Quote:

Abbreviations. Use standard abbreviations (hr, min, sec, etc) instead of
writing complete words. Some common abbreviations that do not require
definition are shown on the attached table. Define all other abbreviations
the first time they are used, then subsequently use the abbreviation

[e.g. Ampicillin resistant (AmpR)]. As a general rule, do not use an
abbreviation unless a term is used at least three times in the manuscript.
With two exceptions (the degree symbol and percent symbol), a space should
be left between numbers and the accompanying unit. In general,

abbreviations should not be written in the plural form (e.g. 1 ml or 5 ml,
not mls).

IMHO, in a post as an exception because the post is usually so short in
length, defining an abbreviation should be done no matter how few times it
is used.

If you want your posts to be impactful to your readers and easy to read,
follow good writing practices.