http://phys.org/news/2014-03-dark-energy-phantom-fields.html

Now researchers from Barcelona and Athens suggest it is the quantum vacuum
which could be behind this energy that moves our universe.

"What we think is happening is a dynamic effect of the quantum vacuum, a
parameter that we can calculate," explained the researcher. The concept of
the quantum vacuum has nothing to do with the classic notion of absolute
nothingness. "Nothing is more 'full' than the quantum vacuum since it is
full of fluctuations that contribute fundamentally to the values that we
observe and measure," SolĂ  pointed out.

These scientists propose that dark energy is a type of dynamical quantum
vacuum energy that acts in the accelerated expansion of our universe. This
is in contrast to the traditional static vacuum energy or cosmological
constant.