On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>wrote:

I do not think you could detect this, even with the best mass spectrometer
> and a tightly sealed cell. Helium is ubiquitous and after strenuous efforts
> to remove it, the background would probably be far higher than the amount
> produced in this reaction.

Just curious -- are your comments in the context of detecting helium in an
NiH experiment, or in general?  Early on there was a debate on helium
production in PdD, and some important researchers (Miles, McKubre, etc.)
have weighed in on the question positively.  In my own reading I got the
impression somewhere along the way, though, that it will be difficult at
best to obtain an unequivocal helium signal in any experiment, for the
reasons you mention.

Eric