On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I think my main takeaway from Piantelli's patents is that he's seeing
> >sufficient fast protons (e.g., in his cloud chamber) to put up the cost of
> >a patent application to capitalize on them.  I would be surprised if they
> >are the primary channel.
>
> If they are fast, then clearly they are carrying energy. Most of that
> energy
> will end up in the electron population. Only a tiny fraction will be used
> produce new fusion reactions.

Makes sense.  I was only noting that Piantelli seems to be seeing fast
protons.  If you're right, he's no doubt mistaken that he can make use of
them by putting up a slab of secondary material with thorium, boron, etc.,
to react with them.

> Perhaps so, something along the lines of a stripping reaction. Even so, the
> protons are probably carrying the energy of that reaction.

I was thinking of the Oppenheimer-Phillips process.  The reason I suspect
the fast protons are not the primary channel is that I suppose there would
be a lot more detectable bremsstrahlung if there were enough of them.
 Perhaps this is mistaken, or perhaps Piantelli's reaction is pretty
low-energy, and there aren't that many fast protons in the big scheme of
things, even if they're impressive to look at in a cloud chamber.

> >I also wonder how much energy output Piantelli is seeing in comparison to
> >Rossi.
>
> Pure guess:- not much. :)

My guess, too.

> >   - If there are broadband emissions, the immediate source of the
> >   emissions is no doubt from electronic activity and not the nuclei.
>
> Do you consider bremsstrahlung to be electronic or nuclear?

I would have thought of them as electronic activity stimulated by a passing
fast particle, and so electronic (although the fast particle's energy is
nuclear), but maybe it's better to think of them as nuclear.

> >Putting these two together, I'm inclined towards a nuclear source for the
> >energy that is somehow passing through the electronic layer.  In
> >Piantelli's case, I know of no evidence that he's seeing MeVs worth of
> >energy;
>
> Doesn't a 6.7 MeV proton count? I think it's pretty strong evidence that
> some
> form of nuclear reaction occurred.

For sure.  I guess my question has to do with the main activity -- in
Piantelli's case, are the protons the majority of what's going on, or is
there something else that predominates?  I doubt the patent gives enough
information to know much about this.  If the protons are just a side
channel, it's difficult to know what the average energy per reactant is.

Eric