Thank you, Bob.  If you have any textbooks you particularly like (e.g.,
touching on nuclear spin states and nuclear transitions), feel free to
recommend them.

For anyone who is interested, I have found the following helpful in getting
a broad overview:

   - Turner, "Atoms, Radiation, and Radiation Protection,"
   http://www.amazon.com/Atoms-Radiation-Protection-James-Turner/dp/3527406069
   - Magill and Galy, "Radioactivity, Radionuclides, Radiation,"

http://www.amazon.com/Radioactivity-Radionuclides-Radiation-Joseph-Magill/dp/product-description/3540211160

The book by Turner is fantastic and goes into a range of topics, including
a detailed discussion about how various detectors work.  I found the book
in several MIT course syllabi.  Turner was at Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, and the book appears to be an important one.  The book by
Magill and Galy is a nice refresher, but they do not go into much detail
and make some assumptions about the reader's knowledge of the field, and I
wouldn't have been able to follow the discussion without having first read
Turner's book.  Next up is a textbook by Kenneth Krane called "Introductory
Nuclear Physics," which has also shown up in several MIT course syllabi.

Eric