the question you are asking are interesting and they are the one the
physicist community focus on... however I judge they are of another century.

maybe it is my education in semiconductors, current interest in LENR, my
experience with finance, with distributed parallel computing, my generation
educated with neural network and AI,but my impression is that the real "new
frontier" is all kind of collective behaviors and QM intrication...
the mysterious emergence of behavior in mud, sand, lattice, LENR, HTSC, and
don't laugh groupthink, financial bubbles, social networks.

complexity is the new "energy" of the 21th century