Hi Jack,

I have started doing a little digging into the electrical implementation of
typical spot welders.  Basically it appears that the spot welder arms are
just the output of a low voltage transformer (probably with a saturating
core).  What this means is that the output will be AC current and voltage.
 One thing to test is to make sure that the spot welder arms are open
circuit to the primary.

   - Can you measure the DC resistance between the arms and the ground
   terminal on the power plug?

We need to make sure that you will not damage your oscilloscope.  Also,
since the output is AC, it may be safer to measure the current with a
clip-on current probe.  If you don't have one, you can make one.  However,
if you use a clip-on probe, you will have to calibrate it with an AC
current.  I will also draw a diagram for how I think you can make your
measurement and will post it.

Bob