I was curious what the numbers would look like for a range of possible
reactions in an NiH system if the only two assumptions that were made were
that nuclear reactions are the main show in NiH LENR and that somehow there
is a way to overcome Coulomb repulsion.  Although I suspect this is not the
whole story, I wanted to see what would happen if we keep things somewhat
simple.

Here is what I found:

   - The Ni(d,p)Ni reactions are benign and can shielded against fairly
   easily.
   - Nearly all other obvious exothermic reactions (e.g., Ni(p,*), d(p,*))
   lead to penetrating radiation, for which even 5cm of lead will not be
   sufficient.
   - The Ni(d,p)Ni reactions produce fast protons, which can potentially
   lead to secondary reactions of undesirable types.

You can see the model here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ylFdUCZ65O7V06MAX1KGmYC4UaaVII4HU5vJ6BIHnPU/edit#gid=399187264

It is very crude and is surely wrong on some details.  I had to estimate
the cross sections in some cases, for example, and cross sections are
pretty finicky.  But even a set of back-of-the-envelope calculations can
lead to insights.  If the general trend of the model is correct, the
numbers tell an interesting story.  Perhaps the columns most of interest
will be W, X, Y and Z, which estimate the number of escaping photons for
each reaction for different thicknesses of various materials.  If you find
a mistake, let me know.

Here are some possible implications of the model:

   - Proton capture in NiH leads to nasty byproducts, including gammas and
   electron-positron annihilation photons, and is to be avoided.
   - Anything that leads to proton capture, e.g., hydrinos being captured
   by nickel lattice sites, is similarly to be avoided.
   - If Rossi's E-Cat is powered by reactions of the Ni(d,p)Ni type, either
   there is something inherent in the geometry of the reaction that is
   avoiding proton-initiated secondary reactions or Rossi has found a way to
   avoid the secondary reactions.

Again, I'm not sure the story is as simple as the starting assumptions
suggest.  For example, I'm interested the possibility that there's a
mechanism that transfers the energy of a nuclear transition to sources of
charge in the environment, thereby precluding the emission of gammas.  If
such a mechanism existed, the Ni(p,*) and d(p,G)3He reactions would not
necessarily be harmful.  Nonetheless it's quite interesting to me how under
less generous assumptions a whole class of reactions (Ni(d,p)Ni) turns up
as somewhat benign and all other classes turn up as quite dangerous.

Eric