a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'd love to know if the decision to place the stand-by generators in the
> basement was a result of budget restraints or a conscious engineering
> decision.

I wouldn't know how that came about. But these reactors are lavishly funded
and they usually go way over budget so I doubt there were many budget
restraints.

I have heard that the fatal flaw was to put the fuel tanks on the seaward
side of the buildings. The fuel tanks were enormous, but they were swept
away by the tsunami. They had enough generators and equipment to keep the
catastrophe under control until the second or third night as I recall, when
the main generator ran out of fuel. They did not notice for some time, and
by the time they realized it had stopped, the damage was done and things
were spiraling out of control.

It sounds unbelievably inept to run out of diesel fuel in the middle of the
night, but you have to realize these people were working under terrible
conditions, with life-threatening radiation, explosions and fires. I have
seen actual videos and also dramatizations of the accident on Japanese TV.
I have the highest respect for the people who responded to the accident and
for the ones who are now trying to contain it. These are brave, competent
people, doing their best.

After the accident, a memo surfaced saying, "we should worry about the
possibility of a large tsunami." In other words, someone foresaw the
problem. An expert interviewed on NHK talked about this. He said: "You will
always find a memo. We looked into everything; we thought about every
possible scenario. If you were to try to eliminate every threat in a
project like this, the plant would never be built." I sympathize with that
point of view. Technology always carries some risk. We cannot be paralyzed
into inaction by fear. In this case, it turned out the risk was much larger
than anyone anticipated. (Anyone including me -- not that I'm an expert.)
That is tragic but it cannot be helped, and I do not think we should go
around looking for a scapegoat to blame it on.