Jones,  I think you have far insufficient data to jump to the conclusion
that this is no longer a Ni-H reaction.  Earlier, the hotCat used
stainless, and it worked just fine.  Before that, it was just added H2
gas.  Just because alumina is used now does not mean it is "beta alumina"
or even uncoated alumina and that all of the H2 leaked out.  Here is an
example of an alpha alumina coating that can be added to prevent diffusion
of hydrogen: http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3560 .  I believe
the process to still be a Ni-H reaction.

That having been said, the 1g of active fuel powder + hydride would not be
enough hydride to provide much H2 pressure in the large alumina tube (of
course, we don't have a good idea what the internal volume looks like).
Apparently when the powder was added, the device was shaken vigorously to
disperse the small amount of powder inside the cylinder.

Storms has noted before that there appears to be an unusual radiation
coming from some of his tests that activated the window in his GM tube.  It
appears that transmutation could be caused at a distance; probably with a
1/r^2 sort of density of transmutation.  Of course, there is sparse
evidence for this too.

Bob Higgins