The amount of lithium seems to be tiny from what I have read.  Do you think
that enough of it is in there to perform the function you are suggesting?

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Oct 12, 2014 1:35 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Engineering and materials issues with high temperature
hot-cat Lugano demo

if there was an inner metal cylinder to contain reactants (particularly
insanely leak-prone hydrogen at high temperatures) then it would be sealed by
welding not half assed approaches like alumina glue.  Until you have worked
with hydrogen (I worked with stirling engines containing hydrogen) it is hard
to appreciate just how disrespectful it is of things like hermetically sealed
containers and thin walled materials of all types.  Anyone with similar
experience would find the idea of such a small reactor with low volume small
fuel charge and large thin wall operating for a month at 12-1400°C while
retaining hydrogen fuel totally unbelievable.

Also alkali metals are nasty on all metals that I am aware of at high
temperatures - particularly in heat pipe type applications like this - pure
lithium condenses on cooler wall surfaces, instantly dissolving metal atoms
from the surface and washing them away to the hot zone where the lithium is
evaporated.  This leads to fast corrosion/eating away of basically all metals
as they are all slightly soluble in lithium, made worse by elevated
temperatures.  This reactor is a lithium heat pipe, with hot nickel powder heat
source at the bottom of the tube and lithium washing down the walls continually
to deposit dissolved atoms at the bottom evaporation zone.

On 13 October 2014 01:18, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.ita...@gmail.com>