If the LENR reaction suffers from thermal runaway then the best means for
cooling is a coolant fluid slightly below the target temperature.  Eg
1180°C coolant and 1200°C running temp so raising temp to 1240°C would then
triple cooling rate, so 'clamping' the temperature.  A lithium heat pipe
would do this really well - vent at a controlled pressure to control the
temp.

The heater wires provide a crude and inefficient version of this for
control purposes.  If an oscillating magnetic field is required for
excitation then that can be provided more efficiently without massive
resistive losses.

At 1200-1400°C a gas turbine would be ideal - with about 45% efficiency
possible in compact device with no cooling water.  Or 55+% with steam
bottoming or CO2 or Helium recuperated Gas Turbine that are much more
expensive.