  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:04 AM
  Subject: [Vo]: Temperature Testing of an IH-like Alumina Reactor

  Since MFMP is building a replica of the IH reactor as shown in the Lugano
test, one of the proposals I have made is to begin with a single-phase dummy
reactor for primary purpose of gaining data on the temperature / convection
behavior.  I propose that the heater be capable of driving the alumina tube
section between the insulating mounting ends to 1400C.  The alumina apparatus
could be outfitted with 8 thermocouples of type R, S, or B and the data from
these gathered with an Omega DAQ.  At the same time an Optris camera would be
monitoring the setup in a manner similar to the Lugano report.  This should
provide supporting or refuting evidence in the thermometry of the Optris with
an alumina tube.  The thermocouples will have to be sealed from air in alumina
and glued to the alumina reactor with a high alumina cement.

  Does anyone have experience with these thermocouple types at temperatures
above 1000C?

  The single phase drive could be an 120VAC source with a >10A triac controller
- it would be cheap because it is a resistive load.  We would still need to
assess input power.  Probably could do that OK with a Kill-a-Watt meter
(calibrated).  If something better was available, it would certainly be used.
The most important point is not the energy balance in this case, but the
correlation between the thermocouple measurements and the Optris IR thermometry.

  Additionally, a coiled secondary heater could be placed on axis for "excess
heat" simulation, controlled with a separate supply.

  I would be interested to hear if the Vortex community thinks this experiment
would be valuable and if there are any other suggestions for a dummy test.