>From a colleague:

I can't help but think this is backwards, and is the more offensive
departure, not from orthodoxy (which always deserves to be challenged) but
from simplicity (Occam) and common sense.  Still, he's not far off the
track because of the close connection between the "speed" of light and the
ultimate discrete motion -- the imaginary logic value or oscillation, which
is a simple case of complex.