Fran, it is OK to disagree with me and I have been wrong more than enough times
to justify your feelings.  There may well be some process such as you are
considering and hopefully one day it will be brought into the light.

My consideration of reactionless drives is based upon the observation that the
mass of atoms, molecules, and all other forms of matter remain a constant to
the local observer at least.  I include the mass that can be attributed to
energy which is either emitted by some action of the matter or absorbed in
other ways.  So far, every attempt that I have made to calculate or measure
this combination yields the same result.  As you know, the total mass-energy
would have to change if the system were to be subject to a reactionless drive.

If somehow it is found to be possible to make a drive of this nature without
having to expend energy then at least the local observer might be satisfied.
The remote observers, which would include everyone moving at a different speed
relative to the spaceship would each determine a different answer for the net
energy expended.  If the system follows the conservation of momentum and
conservation of mass-energy then all of the various observers would reach the
same conclusion.  This is a powerful suggestion that those two laws apply.

Picture a spaceman onboard the ship that tallies the mass of his vehicle before
and after activation of the reactionless drive.  If net energy were required in
order to change the velocity of the ship then he will find that his machine has
lost mass.  This would be sufficient reason to be concerned since eventually
his ship can loose most of the mass and have nothing to show for the energy
that it once contained.  The guy in the normal ship readily calculates that his
lost mass has been ejected mainly out the rear of the device and still exists
in a manner that can be accounted for.

Dave