Peter Amstutz wrote:

>>> Would actions have a source as well as a destination?  If so surely the
>>> source of the "press button" action should be the user's avatar... how
>>> could
>>> a browser press a button?

Well in the past you used to be able to have two TerAngreals sharing the
same avatar, sort of.  This was before you could have your avatar hosted
on the server.  The first TerAngreal contained your avatar object, and
the second used that avatar remotely (moved it).   This is so you could
have multiple displays on different hosts, for "remote control" at a
distant location, for a CAVE like setup, or (what we used it for),
simply to observe the behavior of a user who was using a head mounted
display.

I once made an application, also, that was a big hack, but could have
used something like this very action mechanism to work much better.  You
ran two applications, TerAngreal, and an application-specific GUI
application which would create a set of buttons with
application-specific commands on them for certain objects it discovered
in the world. TerAngreal (this was a previous version, it's now lost all
of these features) had an object linked to your avatar which included
"browser" information:  you could select one or more objects in the
world, and those would form a list.  You also had a "pointer" which you
could place anywhere in the 3d world. The position of this pointer
object was included here, or you could clear the pointer and the object
would go away.  (In theory you could have more than one pointer, say you
had a tracking device for each hand, or a table full of them.)

Then, these were all objects attached to your avatar, since then remote
agents could associate an identity with the browser objects (pointer,
selected objects, etc.) and it was a natural way to discover the browser
objects.    We could easily group them in a "browser" Vobject, and make
that a child of your avatar.  To get around firewalls you'd
unfortunately have to use a proxy object for the browser vobject; it
would be ideal if that was local to TerAngreal since updating it would
be immediate and would'nt have to go over the network each time.

In my hacky application, you could also use the chat channel to give
commands but we wanted a GUI with buttons too.  The whole thing was kind
of cumbersome, since you had (a) TerAngreal, (b) Buttons App, (c) World
server, (d) and 2*n or 3*n agents modifying the world (where n scaled
from 1 to about 5 I think). And they all had to be started up in the
right order.   The real problem, though, is that the Buttons App was not
really connected to TerAngreal in any way, so it had to infer the
association between TerAngreal and your button command based on
hostname, basically, which is a bad idea. It would have been better if
the Vobjects just had a parent-child relationship.   Today, we have
omnivos with plugins, which would combine (c) and (d) into one
application, and if we implement actions, that combines (a) and (b).
This experience is also one reason why I keep suggesting having actions
optionally attached to any object in the world, then my (n) special
objects could just have menus attached to them.  In my application, you
selected an object, and your avatar had an object indicating which
object you had selected.

Reed