Haven't read it yet, but here it is:

http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html

 Bigtable: A Distributed Storage System for Structured Data
 Fay Chang, Jeffrey Dean, Sanjay Ghemawat, Wilson C. Hsieh, Deborah A.
 Wallach, Mike Burrows, Tushar Chandra, Andrew Fikes, and Robert E.
 Gruber

 Abstract

 Bigtable is a distributed storage system for managing structured data
 that is designed to scale to a very large size: petabytes of data
 across thousands of commodity servers. Many projects at Google store
 data in Bigtable, including web indexing, Google Earth, and Google
 Finance. These applications place very different demands on Bigtable,
 both in terms of data size (from URLs to web pages to satellite
 imagery) and latency requirements (from backend bulk processing to
 real-time data serving). Despite these varied demands, Bigtable has
 successfully provided a flexible, high-performance solution for all of
 these Google products. In this paper we describe the simple data model
 provided by Bigtable, which gives clients dynamic control over data
 layout and format, and we describe the design and implementation of
 Bigtable.

 To appear in:
 OSDI'06: Seventh Symposium on Operating System Design and
 Implementation,
 Seattle, WA, November, 2006.