The problem here is the clash of two different mindsets, computer
graphics people versus knowledge engineering people. The first prefer
scene graphs, which are well understood as Braden pointed out, and
are good for rendering. The second prefer semantic descriptions of
objects and their relationships, which is slightly less well
understood. Striving for a mix of both bears the potential for
disaster, or at least to bad compromises as you pointed out.

That said, I'm actually quite happy with the current VOS model. The
flexible typing allows a vobject to be both a semantic and geometric
entity. It can be a misc:Avatar with descriptive properties, and a
a3dl:Cone heading a scene graph structure. There are even child
vobjects which are useful to both aspects, e.g. a3dl:position &
friends. So far, this approach has worked out nicely, right?

What I'd like to do is improve this model in a few places, from a
semantics point of view. For example, an a3dl:bounds child specifying
the rough size and shape of a 3D entity would be helpful. It could
give non-visual clients a better understanding of a scene, without
requiring them to understand the actual scene graph data in order to
compute this information.

Another point is the relation between the sector and its contents. So
far, the relations only specify generic membership, as a set of
conceptually unsorted and arbitrarily chosen contextual names. This
does not mean anything to anybody, neither from a semantic nor scene
graph view. I'd like to see a more structured approach here, using
proper "role" names instead. For example, "m:avatar" for user
avatars, "m:scenery" for (static) background entities, and so on.
This makes it much easier for a client to select child vobjects of
interest for inspection and caching.

Regards,
Karsten Otto (kao)