On 2/2/07, Sebastian Hoffmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 10:15:19PM -0800, Ken Taylor wrote:
> > > yeah - but my tests of the position sensitivity are quite scary for
> > > anything u want
> > > to be accurate or repeatable and for mission critical stuff.
> >
> > But would this kind of experiment be reproducable in the real world, even
> > with super-precision equipment?
>
> How scary *is* it actually? After which time does the simulation start to
> diverge visibly? And, if you happen to be in a mood for tinkering, what
for time, with the python-ode example, i did not see much diversion
until about 8000.
for a spatial displacement 10m was enough.
> happens if you update the second simulation with data from the first
> simulation every $time?

to me, the scary thing is that people tend to assume that a computer
simulation, programmed with high precision and all, is going to be
accurate and reliable. Consider the case when  a military simulation
is used to generate images that they expect a sensor should "see".
These images are compared to "ground truth" images and the result is
used to calibrate a sensor - which is then used in a craft or weapon.
If there is unknown positional error affecting the simulated image
(and most practitioners are unaware of the effect of
spatial/positional error on rendered images) then the sensor gets
miss-calibrated.

chris