Check this out:

http://earlystagevc.typepad.com/earlystagevc/

The most recent post about "Web 2.0" talks about how he thinks the next
big thing is going to be interoperability.  He mentions it more in the
context of web services, but in fact many web services are a step
backwards in terms of transparency, as a monolithic function-call API
reveals little about the underlying structure of the data you are
querying.

VOS as a platform for interoperability has a lot of potential.  What's
unique, I think, is we're concerned with interoperability on multiple
levels, thinking outside the "web" (HTTP/HTML) box, and application
focused, so instead of fuzzy-headed theory or design by committee but
we're actually trying to make it work for us in practice.

Walking into a presentation and saying "A focus of the VOS platform will
be on interoperability with existing systems" makes people ears perk up,
probably because the strategy for 99% of systems is platform lock-in.
Since we're open source, we have no motivation to create lock-in, and
ironically lack of lock-in becomes our own advantage.

Also, last night I came up with a new analogy for VOS:
"XML for Objects"

Meaning, essentially, in the way that XML provides a meta-syntax for
documents and enables a galaxy of tools and applications that can
process them, VOS could provide a meta-framework for applications to
interact, and similarly enable a galaxy of tools and applications that
can interoperate with them.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]