Well, I guess you proved Reed's point by misinterpreting the analogy...
The point isn't really about XML per se, it's that the acceptance of XML
has created an ecosystem of tools that operate on generic XML, which
means applications using XML can leverage those tools.  We're proposing
something similar in spirit, that a flexible runtime system can support
the development of an ecosystem of applications that work together and
are more powerful than the sum of their parts.

Otherwise I agree, documents are not code, and there's an ocean of
difference between the essentially context-free, declarative nature of
documents and the essentially stateful, imperative nature of code.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:35:18PM -0500, Len Bullard wrote:
> Not to rain on the parade but markup transliteration of objects has been
> done before.  See US Navy MID design prototypes.  If you use that analogy be
> sure to clarify that this is not a simple transliteration.  Using a syntax
> designed for documents to create a programming language turned out to be a
> not very good idea.  MID I eventually became the predecessor to XAML and XUL
> by about ten years.
>
> len
>

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of Peter Amstutz
>
> > It's an OK analogy but only if you don't then start applying assumptions
> > to VOS based on what XML is for and what it's restrictions are.
>
> Right.  I'd only use this analogy with someone who already has a vague
> idea that VOS is about communicating objects and not documents.

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]