Is it really bad enough to throw out our investment in the autotools
configuration? bakefile is probably the most obscure of all the build
tools you list.  If you do switch to bakefile, let's keep some Makefiles
in the bzr tree.  And keep bakefile inside the bzr tree so that you don't
have to have it installed if you want to modify the makefiles.

I'd suggest looking into scons, since it seems to be more popular than
bakefile (it's also used by blender).  I have never used it though.
Would jam be useful for generating VC projects or nmake files too?

Reed