On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:40:40PM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:

> I agree, this is something I suggested to Pete earlier. Do people want this
> feature added to the prototype, or wait for the real app?

Well, the intention is for the prototype code to morph into the real
application frontend, so work on it won't go to waste.  It's called a
prototype largely because the all-important network backend is a mockup,
so it looks pretty but doesn't do the most important things the real app
will do.

So if this is something you'd like to work on, I encourage it.  However,
if the goal is to get something useful in peoples hands sooner, I think
I should focus on identifying a minimal set of backend VOS functionality
for version 0.2, implementing that, and porting the UI prototype to use
the real backend.

> This is something that will make it really useful and work well, but
> is pretty novel AFAIK. I don't really know of any other application
> that does this, except that Javascript has a key handler so web pages
> can get keystrokes (except control keys).  VRML does it similarly I
> guess.  But those are all used by the "content", neither of those is
> customizing the shape of the meta-UI.

By comparison with the web, arguably the splitters are kind of like the
much-hated web frames.  It's worth considering why people hate frames so
much, and make sure we avoid those mistakes.

Also, I really want to support a floating heads up display (HUD)
overlayed on the 3D view.  My idea is to have some kind of vector
graphics representation (based on SVG, probably) that can be used to
describe floating HUD elements/UI controls.  This actually would be
quite useful independent of a HUD.  It would be able to render to
texture so you can interact with GUI elements in-world, and could be
used for rendering generic embedded cross-platform 2D UIs (what people
are trying to do with web apps these days).  If we develop a really good
2D UI kit, we could throw out wxWidgets and just use our own
vector-based UI :-) But I'm getting ahead of myself.

> So we need to think through how it works.  E.g. should it
> automatically reconfigure, then show a message at the top notifying
> you that it did? Or should it ask first? Should it only allow
> configuration within the one pane that is viewing the Vobject that
> wants to reconfigure?  Should it open a new window frame with the new
> configuration, leaving your old configuration alone?

Hmm, well a multi-panel configuration is a bit different from a minor
mode, which only affects a single panel of a specific mode.  I'm not
sure how to group it, although at the level of the entire frame would
make the most sense.  When you join a world, it could pop up a dialog
saying, "this would would like to set a custom UI, is that ok"?  As you
mentioned, we'll have standard UI configurations that people can use as
defaults or to build from to create their UIs.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]