On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:56:09PM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:

> Here are some ideas I had on revamping the web site.
>
> Graphic Design
> --------------
>
> * Change the background to white or another light color. Maybe change
> the main content area to a different shade too, rather than current grey.
>
> * A set of background/side illustrations, that convey some of the more
> general themes of VOS and Interreality -- interconected things;
> multifaceted stuff; distributed structures -- but also look cool and
> have a "computer graphics" style to them.

Sure.  I did the current design a few years ago based on an even older
design of yours (still online at http://interreality.sourceforge.net/
!!!)  (we should probably take down the sourceforce page, although it is
of historical interest ;-)

Anyway, I don't claim to be a competent graphic designer, and the
interreality.org cascading style sheet has grown completely out of
control, so it is probably time to start over from scratch from a design
standpoint.

Anybody want to help do a new site design?

> Pages
> -----
>
> It's great that the site runs on hypervos. Maybe we want to keep it, or
> maybe we want to switch to something else then go back to it.  It would
> be great to have text in Vobjects that can be reused on multiple pages.

Having updated the pages, I think it's worth staying with HyperVOS for
now.  We'll want to transition to an s5-based system eventually, but we
need s5 first.

> If we use a wiki for the main pages, we'd need to hide all the meta wiki
> stuff.

I've seen quite a few projects that use a more or less straight up wiki
for their whole site, take http://bazaar-vcs.org/ for example.  Hiding
the wiki links does look more polished, though.

> Sections
> --------
>
> I don't think we really need a hierarchy [with the exception of "About",
> see below], at least for the "public facing" aspect.  These links can be
> listen in a little table or grid at the top of the page, like they are
> now (but set in a grid so they line up nicely, perhaps with logical
> groping/separation).
>
> * About [See below]
> * Screenshots
> * News [redirects to forum announcements]
> * Download
> * Docs
>
> * Forums
> * Mailing Lists
> * IRC
> * Servers [not at first, but eventually link to running servers]
>
> * Bugz
> * Contact

That's pretty much what it is divided up into right now, minus a
"contact" page, and no "servers" page since there are none.

> About Section/Docs

My main concern is that so much stuff is changing, in terms of both
overall goals (trying to be a more focused on addressing specific tasks)
and in the specifics of the technology, its hard to write useful
documentation until development has settled down a bit.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]