On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Adiran <d.smith.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> El viernes, 2 de febrero de 2018, 16:44:45 (UTC+1), Christoph Junghans
> escribió:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:09 AM, Adiran <d.smit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I am not sure if I understand correctly. My intention is to create a CG
>> > model of a protein. Then use this model to be able to represent many
>> > proteins and study multimerization. My worry is: if I can only run an AA
>> > simulation of monomer then the inter-molecular interactions will not be
>> > really optimized no?
>> >

>> > If I use a dimer as the AA reference it might be better right?
>> Transferability is really hard to predict! A dimer might work better,
>> but maybe you even need a trimer.
>>

> Great. The problem is that  a trimer might be too big for AA...

>> > That is helpful thank you.

>> > I can model them by solving a Poisson-Boltzmann equation but couldn't I
>> > get
>> > better guesses (or optimize the ones I have) from VOTCA?
>> Unfortunately, there is currently no optimization strategy in VOTCA.
>

> What do you mean exactly by that?
I meant there is no charge optimization implemented in VOTCA!

>> You could also try to fit the long-range tail of the PMF to get the
>> charges.
>

> How wouldl this work?
Alexander Lyubartsev (IMC) did that in one of this papers! Basically
you can derive the effective charges by fitting the tail of the
interaction.

>> Are you planning on coarse graining the solvent away?
>

> Yes. Do you have any suggestions?
No really, doing implicit solvent saves you some computer power and
determination of CG parameters, but might hurt the chemical accuracy
of the simulation.

>> > In the end I managed to run them, yes, but with a very poor compilation.
>> > will try a more aggressive one and report back any problems.
>> What do you mean with "poor compilation"?
>

>  I mean very little optimized. For example, the GROMACS that I got via the
> script is not using MPI, GPUs nor MKL. I need to look into this and I will
> report back. Appart from having a proper GROMACS are there any other
> recommendations to optimize VOTCA itself?
Not really, for RE you need to compile VOTCA with gsl, so there aren't
many options for optimization.
And thread parallelization is enabled by default anyhow.

>> > --
>>

>> --
>> Christoph Junghans
>> Web: http://www.compphys.de