By now I have installed SQLITE3, compiled latest version of Gromacs and
currently installing VOTCA.
BTW, the Gromacs flag  -DWITH_GMX=ON did not work for me either.
Not sure what was the issue with the flag -DWITH_SQLITE3=OFF, but my cmake
version was below 3, so I had to reinstall it too.

Thanks
Andrey