Julian,

> > dear group,
> > in voyager--general settings--cache--.is there a maximum on 
> disk cache
> > memory size that i can go to?i know the standard is 8192 kb.,but i
> > have doubled that ,with no problems....is there a limit?
> > 
> > thanks
> > 
> > stewart devine

Using AmigaOS 3.5, I have two 10Gb IDE harddisks, one big partition each. I
don't use it for V cache though :)

>    I have to ask one "dumb" question:  "Why in the world would you
> want to maintain ANY amount of cache, let alone to increase the amount
> of room the cache occupies?"  That info is either placed on 
> your compu-
> ter by those computers you have visited, on the Internet, or by V,
> itself, to aid in more easily connecting with other computers.

Yep, allows you to do off-line browsing. Just start up your browser again,
and visit the same sites as before. I would definitely classify it as a
feature. I have my cache set to something like 30Mb, which gives me a fair
amount of history (I use a 56k modem). I consider browser cache as a Very
Useful Thing (TM), as it allows you to browse all the pages off-line again
at a later time.

>    Many sites, instead of using their computers to keep track of your
> info, save all your info on your computer, and then expect to automa-
> tically read that info back, the next time you visit that site.  That
> same info can be accessed by other skilled sites, who have no 
> rights to
> that info.  The only way to avoid this trespass is to delete the con-
> tents of your cache, from time to time.  Of course, before you delete
> anything, make sure you have written the pertinent info on a piece of
> paper and file it someplace safe.  That way, you can always give the
> site whatever info it need, by typing it in, if necessary.

I use the browser cache to store information -I- would like to read again,
not information that the site wants. A site never gets information from your
cache: the browser tries to compile a document for you, and if some of that
information is available in the local cache, it may (according to your
preferences) use the local cache in order to speed up rendering the document
and save bandwidth. The browser does not send a message to the site saying
"hey, look what I found in this loser's cache: ...".

I like to think I know quite a bit of TCP/IP, security, hacking, HTML,
JavaScript, etc, but I know of no easy way to get to the browser cache
contents on a client's machine via HTTP. The closest you can get is the
history list, referrer (you can switch that one off) and maybe you can get
at some cookie info from a different site, but that's about it, I would
think. Getting any further would require 'hacking', which is more likely to
happen on M*cros*ft machines because they're as leaky as swiss cheese.

Or do you consider your entire machine compromised as soon as you dial in?

>    Now, all this is just MHO, based on numerous years working in the
> data processing field, writing about the field, and teaching 
> about it. 
> It is not meant as a negative criticism of you or anyone else.
> 
>                                          Julian.

This feels like kicking in open doors. Am I missing the entire point of your
post?

Wouter
_____________________________________________________________________
Voyager Mailing List - http://v3.vapor.com/
Voyager FAQ....: http://faq.vapor.com/voyager/
Listserver Help: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=HELP
Unsubscribe....: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=UNSUBSCRIBE

Reply via email to