On 2 Mar 2001 21:42:09 +0000, Ian Greenway wrote:

> I often wondered why that strangely inconsistent error message kept
> appearing.  Would it be possible for V to work round this in some way,
> like to retry the DNS request a configurable number of times before
> fail?

This is not the job of the application. Well, this is the same story as the
"connection refused" returned by 4.4BSD based TCP/IP implementations when
the backlog queue of a service is full. The excuse being "just let the
application retry", and you end up having all the application doing the job
... of the network layer.

A possible workaround against the DNS problem is to use a DNS cache. For
example the one at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
--
David Gerber
VaporWare programmer