On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:08:10PM +0000, Jools Smyth wrote:

> certainly Iprobe seems to function on ADSL far bettern than the other Browsers i
>have, probably due to the threading and priorities of each task. Ibrowse if i
>remember has a configuration for this also.

> would be nice to get the most out of my connection on voyager. perhaps with network
>given more priority than the layouter. although if its all on the same thread that
>would be tricky

V uses 5 processes. Main task, dns resolver, network, image decoder
and cache prune (when necessary). Those are the priorities:

- main task: 0 (inherited)
- dns: 2
- network: 0
- imgdecode: -1
- prune: -20

and if you run Executive it uses nice values:

- main task: 0 (default)
- dns: -20
- network: -20
- imgdecode: 15
- prune: 20

(see Executive docs to see what nice values are).

Though in your case it's probably not priority related. The bottleneck
being the main task. Even after the layouting is finished
scrolling the page is slow and V becomes slugish. I identified the
problem a while ago but fixing it will break stuff so I didn't
have time for it yet.

--
David Gerber
VaporWare programmer