Hi Luke,

Glad to see that you’re following our list :)

On 1 Dec 2016, at 14:45, Luke Gorrie <l...@snabb.co<mailto:l...@snabb.co>>
wrote:

On 30 November 2016 at 21:24, Damjan Marion (damarion)
<damar...@cisco.com<mailto:damar...@cisco.com>> wrote:
I was also thinking about building native driver for mlx using their libraries
and skip overhead of PMD, that might be interesting project…

That would be cool :-).

We just did this for Snabb. Our driver is ~ 1500 lines of Lua and it runs
completely stand alone i.e. replaces Linux mlx5 driver + OFED library + DPDK
PMD. I see this as making our lives much simpler from a support and
distribution perspective.

The one driver works for all ConnectX-4 / ConnectX-4 Lx / ConnectX-5 NICs
because Mellanox implement the device side in firmware and keep it uniform
between cards (thanks!)

If you decide to take this route I would be happy to answer any questions about
our experience. Our code is here:
https://github.com/snabbco/snabb/blob/mellanox/src/apps/mellanox/connectx4.lua

Let me take a look :)

Thanks,