From: Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrha...@canonical.com>
Date: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:00 AM
To: Luca Boccassi <luca.bocca...@gmail.com>
Cc: development list for dpdk packaging in Debian / Ubuntu
<deb-d...@lists.fd.io>, "rpm_d...@lists.fd.io" <rpm_d...@lists.fd.io>,
"Bernier, Daniel (520165)" <daniel.bern...@bell.ca>, "vpp-dev@lists.fd.io"
<vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Subject: Re: [Rpm_dpdk] [deb-dpdk] [vpp-dev] MLX5 support in VPP

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 11:48 PM, Luca Boccassi
<luca.bocca...@gmail.com<mailto:luca.bocca...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Is there an OSS version besides the Mellanox
one? If there is and they are API/ABI compatible then it should be fine.

Not sure if my former mail was lost.
But TL;DR - there is one but not compatible.
IMHO for enablement in distros they need to work on MLX in DPDK to work on the
free libs.

If there is not, I'm afraid in Debian it is not allowed by the rules to
have a dependency from a package in the main (free) archive to a
non-free one (I'm not sure about Ubuntu, Christian?)

There would similar rules (from Main not to anything else), but as the special
MLNX OFED
isn't available at all that is not the main issue anyway.

However we do already support a user-supplied DPDK config file at build
time (by simply setting the env var
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="dpdk_config=/path/to/config"), so the same package
could be just rebuilt with a different config.

Would this work for you?

Using that plus self-fetched MLNX OFED Libs is the smallest hurdle to take when
building for oneself.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server