Cool. My suggestion would not have solved the issue, but looking at
Damjan's .am files gives me a hint why the years ago project had issues,
for example:

libsvm_la_LIBADD = libvppinfra.la -lrt -lpthread
libsvm_la_DEPENDENCIES = libvppinfra.la

I'll bet we did not have the second line in the years ago project. (This is
just an example; the years ago problems were not VPP related.)

If anyone is interested in whether I could build after removing all the
LIBADD and related DEPENDENCIES in my experiment, the answer is: ALMOST. I
had to add this

if WITH_IPV6SR
bin_vpp_LDADD += -lcrypto
endif

in vpp.am. But I was able to remove more lines than I had to add back.

Burt